Income Tax Programs

As a temporary measure during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is happy to announce that some community organizations will be hosting free virtual tax clinics through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).  Many organizations have had to cancel or scale back the in-person tax preparation services they typically offer due to concerns surrounding COVID-19.


Just like traditional in-person (by appointment or walk-in) CVITP clinics, virtual CVITP clinics connect eligible individuals with trained volunteers who will complete and file their tax returns.


These clinics offer eligible individuals the ability to have their taxes completed by a volunteer while respecting physical distancing guidelines.  Taxpayers reach out directly to organizations to set up a virtual appointment with a volunteer.


The taxpayer and the volunteer then interact by email, over the phone or using any of the many video conferencing applications that are readily available.  The volunteer then completes the tax return using tax preparation software and files the return with the CRA.


Like in-person free tax clinics, virtual tax help is available to anyone with a modest income and a simple tax situation, including:

  • indigenous peoples;
  • social assistance recipients;
  • newcomers to Canada;
  • persons with disabilities;
  • homeless persons or housing shelter residents;
  • seniors; and
  • students.

Volunteers do not prepare tax returns for those with complex tax situations, such as:

  • returns for deceased persons;
  • individuals who file for bankruptcy;
  • self-employed individuals,
  • individuals who report capital gains or losses;
  • individuals who report employment expenses; or
  • individuals who report business or rental income and expenses.


For more information on how to get involved, please visit:





Subscribe to our Newsletter